#178: APAAR ID | One stop source
invest 3 mins in reading this to never forget
Go back to school days
Changing school was a task, remember? 🙃
Multiple certificates needed from Character to Transfer to School Leaving
Govt is centralizing this system with:
One Nation One Student ID
Read all details just once in this post to never forget!
Answer lies in APAAR ID
Automated Permanent Academic Account Registry
A lifelong ID for all students starting from childhood
But why, CSEWhy?
In broad scheme of things, it aims to:
• track progress from pre-primary to higher education
• reduce fraudulent educational certificates
• linked with digilocker to store school docs
• help state governments track & improve data like literacy rates, dropout rates etc.
Okay, but how will it do all of this?
APAAR ID linked to Academic Bank Credit (ABC)
ABC serves as digital storehouse of all ‘credit’ information in a student’s learning journey
In case student changes school,
ABC data will be transferred to new school just via APAAR
and no physical documents will have to be produced!
So how is APAAR ID created?
Basic info taken from student and verified via Aadhaar
The consent to share Aadhaar data will be taken
Note: Apaar is voluntary and not mandatory (source: IE)
This sounds like a great idea, CSEWhy
Now tell me issues that I can quote in my answer?
• Federalism issue as education is concurrent subject
• Fear of leaking personal data to third parties!
• Digital barriers if APAAR ID access is lost
• Voluntary currently but mandatory later?
• Lack of clarity on language barriers
• Excessive centralization
Alright CSEWhy, this helps!
What are solutions?
• Better planning with Centre-State coordination
• Stringent policy via Data Protection Bill
• Inclusive tech use to ensure mass adoption
Based on these points, I recommend you to think of more ways to solve for this and make this scheme better (think as an IAS)
What else do I need to know?
You will not find descriptive posts like this to save your time anywhere else
To reward my effort, subscribe to my YouTube here for valuable content for UPSC Prep