Discover more from UPSC CSE Why Newsletter
#183: US-China Truce | India to be careful!
GS 2 IR | Mains
Xi Jinping 'silently' flew to San Francisco
Why? To seek truce with Biden⚠️
What did they talk about? What is in it for India? 🧵
Current Affairs thread for #UPSC GS2
Xi wants two things:
US shall stop:
• containing China
• supporting "Taiwan's independence"
Xi further says: "World is big enough for China & US"
Read closer: China does not want to surpass US BUT wants US to give up some of its 'world' to rule
Sadly, for Xi, Biden kept the restriction intact and asked to renounce use of force to unite Taiwan w/ People's Republic
What did these two achieve? 👇🏻
Confidence building measures to keep communication open
US Hegemony 'erosion' on hold.
It is unusual for Xi to go out of his way. So, why did he?
Answer: Domestic Challenges (Real estate dip, COVID mismanagement & more)
But what gives the US so much leverage?👇🏻
• Stronger bilateral alliances with Japan, Korea & Australia
• Trilateral strategic framework w/ Tokyo & Seoul
• Strategic partners in India & Vietnam
• Revitalized alliance w/ Philippines
• QUAD & AUKUS
Is it winning everywhere? Nope! 👇🏻
• Lost ground in Africa (world is big enough, you see?)
• Israel's activities in Gaza threaten regional order
• Losing war in Ukraine
What is good news for India?👇🏻
Dramatic changes in US-China relations are remote
India's rise allows us to handle shifts in global order
How to navigate the way forward then?👇🏻
Don't get complacent and
• Take advantage of new possibilities of ties w/ US
• Asses changes in great power relations
• Maintain long-standing ties w/ Russia
• Manage ties w/ China
Summarizing this with famous quote by MEA Jaishankar that India shall 👇🏻
"Engage America, Manage China, Cultivate Europe, Reassure Russia, bring Japan into play"
This thread is adoption of Raja Mohan Sir's article in Indian Express
Want more such Current Affairs summarized for #UPSC to save time?